Thread: Just had Gastric Bypass Last Week!

Just had Gastric Bypass Last Week!

I am 21 years old and just had surgery a week ago. I am in moderate pain where the incisions were and have not moved from my couch much. I am having trouble keeping any food down. I'm trying to drink enough liquids and get protein, but I can't stomach the protein shakes. I joined this forum to get input from people about their successes and challenges.

Don't worry about the protein so much right now. Drink broth and water to make sure you stay hydrated. Get up and walk a bit to release some of the gas and bloating from the surgery. That will also help with the nausea and pain.

Hi Putyperq. Congratulations on your bypass. I have heard time and time again that the worst thing you can do post op is to "not move". You need to get up and move a lot and walk that pain away. The pain is due to the incisions but it's also due to the C02 which was put into you before the procedure. That C02 enables your surgeon to work laparoscopically but it also gets trapped inside and causes pain. When I had my Sleeve surgery in Mexico, when I woke up, it felt like I had an elephant sitting on my chest. My surgeon told me that it was due to the C02 being trapped under my diaphragm and to walk and walk and walk a lot. Walking also prevents blood clots. Take your mild pain reliever and go for a walk. That should have. I also want to tell you that you should not worry about "food" right now. Just be sure to stay hydrated. Dehydration is a main reason why patients are rehospitalized and it is totally preventable. Drink your fluids.

I had my surgery 10 months ago and can relate to your issues. I have lost over 50 pounds so far. At first, it took me an entire day to drink one protein shake. Now I can drink it in a couple of hours. Concentrate right now on fluid intake and walking. I still walk to feel better and get rid of gas discomfort.