Thread: Iron Concerns

Iron Concerns

The results for my iron levels from the doctor's office show that ideally the normal range for women should be between 30 and 126 ug/dl. Well, during my 3-month check up, my ferratin was 13 and then during my 6-month check-up, it was down to 11. Recently went to my primary care physician for a physical and requested to get my iron levels checked again. Now I'm at 6 ug/dl. The thing is I take a multivitamin which contains that 45mg of iron , the ferrous fumarate one, then I take an additional 29mg of ferrous fumarate daily with 500mg of Vitamin C to help with absorption. But somehow, my iron levels are dropping.

So I'm getting worried. Do you think this is an indication that will lead to long-term iron issues? Is there a prognosis for someone who can't seem to absorb iron? Is anyone here having or have had iron issues? How do you deal with it? I'm just anxious whether I'm doomed to be on infusions for the rest of my life... Can anyone help me out?

Taking iron supplement pills and getting enough iron in your food will correct most cases of iron deficiency anemia. You usually take iron pills 1 to 3 times a day. To get the most benefit from the pills, take them with vitamin C (ascorbic acid) pills or orange juice. Vitamin C helps your body absorb more iron.
    You will need to keep taking the pills for several months to build up your iron stores. Sometimes it takes up to a year of treatment with iron supplements before iron levels return to normal.

Juicy84, please make an appointment with a hematologist.