Thread: Is this pain normal 3 days post op?

Is this pain normal 3 days post op?

Itís only been 3 days since my operation and I donít feel very good. I'm in pain on my shoulders and right side rib, and itís uncomfortable to breathe. I feel that I have too many gas but itís difficult to burp and itís making me uneasy. Is this a normal feeling? What should I do?

I believe that's normal for 3 days post op. Some patients still feel the same after 6 days. Use heating pad for the shoulder pain, that will surely help alleviate the pain. Do not put the heating pad on your belly. I suggest walking it walk it out. Make sure that you stay hydrated all the time because that will help a lot with the healing.

It should be normal! I was in pain for a week, and I had to do a lot of walking to get rid of the gas. I know you feel weird; I've been there too, and sometimes I feel paranoid about every little pain I observe, but follow your doctor's orders, and you'll be fine. Be sure to sip your water no matter what. Check out the gas x chewable, that may work for you. Hang in there!

During Lap Band surgery, surgeons usually pump a certain string of gas into the abdominal cavity so the surgery can be performed easily and with less hassles. This causes the feeling of having too many ""gas"" in the belly area. To get rid of this feeling, Healthcare professionals often recommend starting a regular walking scheme daily. Not only this improves (and gets rid) of the intense gas, it also helps you stay in shape.

As for the pains that you are experiencing in the shoulders and rib area, you are not alone. Most patients often feel some pain in those general areas, particularly in the chest and belly area. I would suggest taking a rest and don't do any strenuous activities for at least a week after the operation. Do some light exercise (walking will do). To ease up the pain, painkillers might work, but don't use them unless prescripted by your surgeon.

I agree with BabsDin! I might also add: gas relievers (such as Gas-X) will surely help you in getting rid of the nasty gas that you encounter post-op. Ask your surgeon if this is suited for you though, we don't want any complications.

I believe that's normal for 3 days post op. Some patients still feel the same after 6 days. Use heating pad for the shoulder pain, that will surely help alleviate the pain. Do not put the heating pad on your belly. Like what BabsDin and Rustic_life have suggested, walk it out. Make sure that you stay hydrated all the time because that will help a lot with the healing.

I would that agree that day 2, 3 and 4 were definitely the worst for me. But on my 6th day, I started to be feel better and able to care for myself with no help for the first time. Hope you're feeling better by now Curt_Cars!